Kodaikanal Boat Club
Henry Vere Levenge Collector of Madurai during the period of 1860-1867 was responsible for visualizing and forming the Kodaikanal Lake. The Lake is the “Heart” of Kodaikanal and a place for recreation. The Lake is situated in Kodaikanal (10º14’N Lat
77º 28’ E Long) at an elevation of 2285m above sea level. The Lake has a perimeter of 4.8 KM and water spread area of 26 ha. The average depth is 3.0m.
Soon after the Lake was formed, pleasure boats were introduced. Private boat houses were built by the then prominent residents, like H.H.The Maharaja of Pudukkottai, Sri Vijayaraghavacharior of Salem and Missionaries. About the year 1890, the members of the English Club (Now the Kodaikanal Club) thought that a Boat Club could be a great amenity to the visitors and the Boat Club was formed. The Club started with 49 members and acquired a few boats.
For more information visit: Click here